Is My Faith Genuine Faith?
Today, we want to continue LOOKING at the testing of our faith.
Open your App to the Book of James.
Remember James has a passion for his readers to understand the difference between true faith and a dead faith.
As We Meet With God, Let’s Pray
Oh Lord, we thank you that Your Word is right at our fingertips. Make us understand the way of Your precepts, so we will meditate on Your wonders, (Psalm 119:25).
LOOK at What God Says
Remember LOOKING is where we are learning to spend our time. Keep LOOKING at the testing of our faith!
What will you do today to LOOK at what God says?
Read v2-4 again, on your own, asking the 5W’s and H to put you in context.
Understand the Meaning of the Words God Uses
Now let’s Define the Key Word faith that is critical to our understanding.
Faith, pístis; A firm persuasion, conviction based on hearing: of who God is; of who Christ is; of Christ death/resurrection as the ground of justification before God; in the truth; in the gospel.
Just a side note for you all.
Faith and believe come from the same Greek root word. Faith is a noun and believe is pisteuo, a verb. To believe is to have faith!
Now, to understand faith so we can live by it, we need to understand the three vital elements of faith. I want to give you the definition that comes from the Vine’s Bible Dictionary showing that faith is more than an intellectual assent. Faith is:
- a Firm Conviction: of who God and Jesus are, and who and what I am, a sinner in need of a Savior;
- an Absolute Total Commitment: a surrender to Jesus as Lord and Savior; and
- a Conduct: that gives evidence to my conviction and commitment.
We see: True faith not only believes; it behaves!
I want to encourage you to memorize these 3 C’s so you can share with others, as the Lord would lead.
TIP Remember to take what you have learned back to the text, to see what it means in its context.
“knowing that the testing [the proof] of your faith [your conviction, commitment and conduct] produces endurance…
God Uses Truth to Explain Truth
Let’s keep LOOKING at faith.
- THINK and REASON through what God is saying by asking the 5W’s and H as you check out the Cross References for faith.
- And LISTEN and LIVE it out!
There is much to LOOK at and to understand. I want to encourage you to do what you can do. If not enough time for all that God has to say today, then come back tomorrow and continue in your discovery. God is not bound by time, and neither are you. That is the beauty of Discovering Truth for Yourself.
- Faith is tested. (Jam 1:3)
- Faith comes by hearing, hearing by the Word of Christ. (Rom 10:17)
- Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. (Heb 11:1)
- Without faith it is impossible to please God. (Heb 11:6)
- He who comes to God, must believe that He is, and that He rewards those who seek Him. (Heb 11:6)
- Faith does not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God. (1Co 2:5)
- By grace you are saved through faith and not of yourselves, it is a gift of God; not a result of works. (Eph 2:8-9).
What Did You LEARN About Faith?
You Sum it Up!
You’re on your own today.
Don’t forget to LISTEN and LIVE it out!
- How is my faith being tested? Is it proving to be real?
- Do I have a true faith – a firm conviction believing Jesus is the Christ?
- When did I commit (surrender) my life to Jesus as Lord and Savior?
- What is my conduct? Does it give evidence of my conviction and commitment?
- What did I hear that brought me to faith?
- What do I believe about God and Jesus Christ?
- What does my faith truly rest upon?
- Am I saved? When was I saved by grace through faith?
- Do I understand my works do not save me?
LIVE it out…Respond to God!
That’s a Wrap! Take a Breath!
“O how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day,” (Psalm 119:97).
Meditate on all you have learned about the Key Word faith.
Journal Your Discovery in Your Notes
As we bring this day to a close, journal your discovery, thoughts and communion with the Lord in your Notes. You will be so glad you did.
Turn What We Have LEARNED into a Prayer.
GRACIOUS FATHER GOD, open our hearts and fill them with praise for You today. Oh Lord, You have made it very clear that the way of salvation is clearly by grace through faith lest anyone should boast. I pray earnestly Lord that all who are joining in this discovery of James, that each of us truly believes that You are God and there is no other, and that Jesus, You are indeed God’s Son, God in the flesh. I pray each of us has been convicted, understanding we are sinners in need of a Savior and forgiveness, utterly helpless to save ourselves. I pray that each of us has surrendered our lives to You, possessing this true faith and are empowered to express it and live it in the midst of our trials. We come to You and thank you for our salvation. By faith alone we come to You desiring to please You. Oh, may we glorify You Father God, and You sweet Jesus, our Savior and Lord, in whose name we pray and ask these things. Amen!
Tomorrow: LOOK @ why God tests our faith in James 1:2-4.
Need the YDT App? Go to www.youdiscovertruth.com and subscribe.