Today, we will continue LOOKING @ these verses focused on Key Words to unlock the meaning of the text.
Open your App to the Book of James.
“O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly; My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, In a dry and weary land where there is no water,” (Psa 63:1).
Let’s Keep LOOKING at What God Says!
Where will you begin?
Read James 1:5-8 again, with a questioning mindset.
What are we to do? What will God do?
Unlock the Meaning of the Text
When going through trials, we need wisdom.
Wisdom is Key!
Understand the WORDS God uses!
What Does ‘wisdom’ mean?
Wisdom, sophía; In a higher sense, wisdom, deep knowledge, natural and moral insight, learning, science, implying cultivation of mind and enlightened understanding. Stands for divine wisdom; the ability to regulate one’s relationship with God.
TIP Remember to take what you have learned back to the text, to see what it means in its context.
“But if any of you lacks wisdom [deep understanding; divine wisdom; the ability to regulate one’s relationship with God], let him ask of God,
God Uses Truth to Explain Truth
Let’s check out what God says about ‘wisdom‘ in the Cross References to give us a better understanding.
- Wisdom belongs to God. (Pro 2:6)
- The Lord gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding. (Pro 2:6)
- God gives wise men wisdom, And knowledge to men of understanding. (Dan 2:2-23)
- God gave Daniel wisdom and power (Dan 2:2-23)
- The beginning of wisdom is to fear the Lord. (Psa 111:10)
- Paul contrasts the so-called wisdom of this world with God’s wisdom and power as seen in Christ. (1Co 1:18-30).
- God’s wisdom centers in the knowledge of Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. (Col 3:16)
- God reveals His wisdom by the Holy Spirit to those who are spiritual. (1Co 2:6-16).
If any of you lacks wisdom, ask God…
NOTE: the Grammar for ask is a present imperative. To ask is a command that is continuous. It is not optional.
- Soloman asked for wisdom and knowledge to rule the people and God gave it. (2Ch 1:7-13)
- NOT to lean on your understanding, acknowledge Him in all our ways, He will make your paths straight. (Pro 3:5-7)
- NOT be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and turn away from evil.
- Those who: ask, will receive; seek will find; knock it will be opened. (Mat 7:7-12)
- How much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!
THINK: Why do you think God wants us to ask Him for wisdom?
Hear and Respond to God!
- What do I ask God for? Do I ask Him for wisdom?
- Am I guilty of leaning on my own understanding?
- Or, do I acknowledge Him in ALL my ways? How so?
- Am I guilty of being wise in my own eyes?
- What proves I fear the Lord?
- Is it the habit of my life to ask, seek and knock?
LIVE it out…Respond to God!
Understand the Words God Uses.
What does it mean to ‘ask for wisdom in faith‘?
Do you remember the definition for faith? It’s just a touch away!
Did you memorize the 3C’s? You should get this definition under your belt, as faith is more than an intellectual assent.
God Uses Truth to Explain Truth
Let’s check out what God says about faith and ‘asking in faith’.
- Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. (Heb 11:1, 6)
- Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.
- Jesus said – Have faith in God. Say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ and not doubt in your heart, but believe that what you say is going to happen, it will be granted. All things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you. (Mar 11:22-24)
What Did We LEARN?
Let’s Sum It Up!
When going through trials we need wisdom, God’s wisdom, to understand the trial; to face the trial; to consider it with joy; to remember it is producing endurance; to let it do its work; and to know how to respond.
- Because wisdom belongs to God, then He is the only one who gives it.
- Wisdom is: Christ; in the knowledge of Christ; and revealed by the Spirit.
- The brethren, believers, are commanded to ask God for wisdom.
- Wisdom is available but for some reason God waits for us to ask.
- God will give wisdom generously and without reproach.
- We must ask believing, fully assured and convinced God can do anything.
- God is the rewarder of those who seek Him.
- Without faith it is impossible to please God.
- Whatever the trial, we must believe God will grant us wisdom.
- Faith is what unleashes God’s power to do His will.
Open the Deeper Discovery
View the #4 LIVE Question.
- When facing a trial, who do I run to?
- Do I obey the command, to ask God for wisdom?
- How does that wisdom come to me?
- Do I ask in faith, believing I will receive from the Lord what I need for the trial?
LIVE it out…Respond to God!
That’s a wrap for today. We’ll finish up these verses tomorrow.
Chew on All You Have Learned Today!
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction,” (Pro 7:1). What is your trial this day? Run to your God, ask Him for His wisdom.
Don’t Forget to Put Your Discovery in Your Notes.
As we close for the day, let me remind you to:
- Put the Definitions and Cross References not only in your Notes but also in your hardbound Bibles next to Jam 1:5.
- Add what you are learning about God to your list.
Take it from me, if you don’t do it now, you won’t.
Let’s pray. OH FATHER, THE WISE GOD, as we go through life’s trials, what a comfort You have given us as You unveiled more of Your Truth to us today. We recognize that wisdom belongs to You. That knowledge and understanding come from Your mouth and are revealed to us by the Holy Spirit. Oh Father, as the veil is removed from our eyes, may we comprehend that You are waiting for us to ask for Your wisdom in our trials. That You desire us to run to You, to depend upon You. Father, help each one of us to run to You, asking in faith for Your wisdom. May we come believing with all our hearts that You will give us all that we need in our trials, and You will give to us without reproach. Oh thank you so much that there is no reproach! Let us know that we know and be ever confident that You are there to give without hesitation, holding nothing back from us. May we cast ourselves on You, praying fervently, asking, seeking, and knocking, believing that You will supply and provide generously. May we remember You are producing endurance and making us more like our beloved Savior, Jesus, in whose names we ask these things. Amen!
Tomorrow: LOOK @ the Cross References for v5-12.
Need the YDT App? Go to www.youdiscovertruth.com and subscribe.