How Am I Enduring Through My Trials?
Today, we want to focus on what the testing of our faith produces.
Open your App to the Book of James
“Make me know Your ways, O LORD; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; For You I wait all the day,” (Psalm 25:4-5).
LOOK at What God Says
Remember LOOKING is where we are learning to spend our time. Let’s keep LOOKING at the testing of our faith.
Where will you begin?
Read v2-4 again, on your own, asking the 5W’s and H to put you in context.
What should we know? What is being produced through our testings?
Unlock the Meaning of the Text
So what would be the next Key Word(s) that you would concentrate on?
Why don’t we take a look at knowing and endurance, to help us in our understanding?
Understand the Words God Uses
What does ‘knowing’ mean? See @ydt.com/tutorial/dictionary.
Knowing, ginoâskō; in the sense of to understand or comprehend in our minds.
TIP Remember to take what you have learned back to the text, to see what it means in its context.
“knowing [to understand in our minds] that the testing of your faith produces endurance.”
God Uses Truth to Explain Truth
Why don’t you try taking a LOOK at the Cross References for ‘knowing‘ on your own. See CR-Cross References-Word Search Tutorial.
Remember you are spending time with the Lord. And when you do the digging you will remember what God shows you. After you have given it a try, then take a look at my discovery.
What do we need to know?
Why are we tested?
Know the testing produces endurance (Jam 1:3)
We see: there is a purpose; there is a product.
Who brings the trials?
Know as with Paul – God may use Satan as His messenger, but God brings the trials. (2Co 12:7-10)
Remember looking at Job? God brought the trial, using Satan as His instrument.
What should we know about God who brings the trials?
Know that the LORD is great, and above all gods. Whatever the LORD pleases, He does. (Psalm 135:5-6)
Boast in knowing the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth. (Jer 9:23-24)
Know God is the LORD, and there is no other, forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity. (Isa 45:6-7)
Know God rules over all (that means my trials); He does according to His will; and no one can thwart His plan. (Dan 4:34-35)
Now, let’s stop here for just a second. The LOOK section encourages us to:
Meditate on God, because He is always Key.
As you begin to get to know God and His ways, you might want to begin making a list about all you are leaning about God in your Notes section. This will help you remember Truth about God and aid you in praising Him and praying according to Truth.
Know who God is and what He does.
Check out endurance. See Dictionary Tutorial.
Endurance, hupomoneâ; patience, patient continuance (waiting). To persevere, remain under. A bearing up under as to things or circumstances. Generally meaning endurance, patience, perseverance or constancy under suffering in faith and duty.
“knowing [to understand in our minds] the testing [the proof] of your faith [firm conviction of God and Jesus] produces endurance [patience, perseverance, a remaining under my circumstances].
God Uses Truth to Explain Truth
Try it on your own again. Examine the Cross References for Endurance. THINK and REASON asking the 5W’s and H. See CR-Cross References-Word Search Tutorial.
- The one who endures to the end, he will be saved. (Mat 24:13)
- If you continue in My word, then you are truly My disciples. (Joh 8:31)
- We have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end. (Heb 3:14)
- There are those who will not remain, for they are not of us. (1Jo 2:19)
What Did We LEARN?
Lets Sum It Up!
We need to know and not forget:
- God does what He pleases.
- God exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness.
- God is the LORD, there is no other.
- God forms light and creates darkness.
- God brings well being, but also calamity.
- God who rules over all brings the trials.
- The trial that tests our faith produces endurance.
- Through the trial we continue in His Word and hold fast to our assurance.
- The one who endures to the end shall be saved.
- Those who do not remain, who have gone out from us, never were of us.
Hear and Respond to God!
- What do I know and understand that helps me through my trials?
- Do I believe God is the LORD and there is no other?
- Do I know (understand in my mind) that God causes well being and creates calamity?
- Do I know (understand) God is the One who brings my trials?
- Or, do I blame others and/or Satan for my trials?
- What am I doing to grow and know God more intimately?
- How does knowing God give me security and peace of mind in my trials?
- What is coming forth from my trials?
- Is endurance [the patience, perseverance] being produced through my trial right now?
- Or, have I thrown my hands up and no longer remain with God?
- What am I doing to endure, to continue in His Word and hold fast?
LIVE it out…Respond to God! You can do this! Don’t skip this part!
Take a Breath!
Reflect and meditate on all you are learning about God who is always Key.
Let me share my life verse “…eternal life is knowing the one true God and Jesus Christ whom He sent,” (Joh 17:3).
God is revealing Himself to us. He is giving us Truth about Himself, so you and I will know Him and His ways. Tell Him you want to know Him, not just ‘know about’ Him. Soak it all in and don’t miss what He is saying!
Record Your Discovery in Your Notes
As we close for the day remember, take a minute to put the Definitions and Cross References not only in your Notes but also in your hardbound Bibles next to Jam 1:2-4.
Don’t forget to begin that list on God.
Yes, do it now, or you won’t.
Turn What We Have LEARNED into a Prayer.
Let’s Pray. OH MERCIFUL FATHER GOD, I am thinking of a dear friend today who has finished her race, entered Your House, receiving her Crown of Righteousness, that joyful blessing You have commanded us to consider. I am also thinking of the unimaginable heartache her family is enduring at this time, and how hers and their faith is proving to be real. Thus, You are being glorified through their trial. I think of the issues of life that we all face, may we come to know You and understand Your ways. Forgive us for blaming others, or Satan for our trials. May we know that we know, and understand that you bring the trials. Help us to understand that You are producing endurance in each one of us. May we remember that in each trial You are bringing forth a strength, a perseverance, a tenacity, a patience in us. Oh Father, help each of us grow through our trials. Please help each of us to carve out time daily to continue in Your Word, to know it and stand on it, in order to hold fast until the end. We ask all these things in the precious name of our Lord Jesus. Amen!
Tomorrow: We will LOOK at James 1:2-4, about letting endurance have it’s perfect result.
Need the YDT App? Go to www.youdiscovertruth.com and subscribe.